Saturday, July 9, 2011

Horrible Bosses (2011)



By Paco McCullough

Horrible Bosses has two of my favorite television comedians- Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) and Charlie Day (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia). I was conflicted about seeing them in this film, as the marketing hadn’t sold me on it. Bateman in particular has chosen some iffy roles in the past, which made me hesitant about this film. I was pleasantly surprised, however, as this film was entertaining. The director, Seth Gordon (The King of Kong), does an excellent job drawing performances out of the group of talented actors.
The plot involves three men (Day, Bateman, and Jason Sudeikis) who have horrible bosses. Pushed to the breaking point, they decide to murder all three bosses. This being a comedy, they go through various hijinks and misadventures along the way. Fans of Day’s work on It’s Always Sunny will love that his knowledge of Law and Order is brought up in this film.
While I would call Horrible Bosses entertaining, it never felt as funny as it should have. The comedy was less lazy than most films that Hollywood produces, but only by a small percentage. Other than a few standout scenes, the overall film never made me laugh. Given the caliber of talent, it is unfortunate that more emphasis wasn’t placed on the script. This flaw, while pretty significant, wasn’t enough to keep me from enjoying the film.
Overall, I would recommend Horrible Bosses to comedy fans. There is enough to appreciate about this film to merit a watch, although I think it may be one that you can wait to watch on a small screen. I believe that this may be a breakout film role for Day, and I for one am excited to see where he goes from here.

3.5 out of 5 stars

© Tanner McCullough, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment