Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Videogame Bits: Street Fighter Alpha (1995)


By Terry Cleveland

I didn’t quite know what I was in for when I sat down to watch Street Fighter Alpha. My thought was, “hey I like Anime and video games. How bad could it be?” The answer: absolutely awful, and then some.

The film starts out with the obligatory shots of characters from the street fighter such as Chun Li, Ryu, and Ken, who all happen to be in Japan to compete in a Street Fighter tournament. It turns out that Ryu has some dark powers that are trying to get out as well as an annoying little brother. Later they fight in a few more tournaments and meet Akuma and that’s about all that this film has to offer for a story. The scenes change fast enough that I forgot what was even going on at a few points.

There is nothing good about this movie in any way. What parts of the games that have actually made it into the film are badly incorporated and boring. All of the characters are merely steroid infused martial artists who fight constantly at the drop of a hat and question their existences by asking questions like “why do I fight?” Parts of the film are not badly animated, but most of the story is so bad I didn’t even care what was going on as long as I was that much closer to the end of the film. The fight scenes which constitute nearly the entire movie turn into virtual pissing matches where two men square off and make faces at each other until one of them finally decides to do something, which is almost always boring and leads to more pissing matches. The only cool character in the film is Akuma, but sadly he only has about five minutes of actual screen time, so instead you are stuck with Ryu, and Ken who are both whiny pussies.

Basically there is no reason to watch this movie. I had no expectations and was still disappointed.

0 out 5

No comments:

Post a Comment