Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cinemecca's Most Anticipated Films of 2012

By Paco McCullough

A quick note before I begin- this list is based off of films for which I can get information easily, i.e. primarily Hollywood films. This is not a bias against Indie films, it's just that they generally fly under the radar until closer to their release.



5 - Prometheus -

While I've been avoiding all spoilery hype about this film, I know all I need to be really excited. Not technically an Alien prequel, though originally planned as such, it takes place in the overall Alien universe. Ridley Scott returns, making his second Alien-based film and third sci-fi picture. Considering that his other two sci-fi films (Alien and Blade Runner) are two of my all time favorite movies, I have high hopes, even considering his somewhat rough track record as of late.




4 - The Avengers -

Part of my excitement for this film stems from true anticipation, as I've enjoyed to some extent all the Marvel Studios releases up to this point, and it's exciting to imagine such an unprecedented crossover event. Joss Whedon has always been hit or miss for me, but his run on Astonishing X-Men demonstrates both love and capability when working with Marvel characters. This could be a complete disaster, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.




3 - The Dark Knight Rises -

The Dark Knight was perhaps the best action film of the last ten years, certainly the best comic book movie of all time. While I have no delusions that this film will top The Dark Knight, it looks like a badass movie in its own right. I'm excited to see what Bane does, and the trailer got me all kinds of excited. In any normal year, this would be my top pick for most anticipated film of next year.




2 - Django Unchained -

Quentin Tarantino is consistently one of the most interesting and entertaining mainstream filmmakers, and his new film about a runaway slave seeking revenge sounds like another fun homage to 70s exploitation flicks. Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz, who QT can use like nobody's business, return to the director. While I'm leery about Jamie Foxx playing the lead role, as it seems a strange fit, I trust Tarantino's judgment. Considering the subject matter, here's hoping it's his most depraved and twisted film yet.




1 - The Raid -

I've watched the trailer for this movie like a billion times by this point. Here it is for all of you who made not have seen it.



For those that can't watch the trailer, The Raid looks like the most pants-shittingly awesome over-the-top action movie I've ever seen. Early reviews have compared it favorably to John Woo's classic Hard Boiled, if the entire film was the hospital scene. The plot involves a drug dealer who controls an entire building and the SWAT team sent to take him down. Combining gunplay and the Indonesian martial arts of Kali and Silat, the action looks intense. The filmmaker's last movie, Merantau, is on Netflix watch instantly, and serves as an example of his skill in filming action sequences. If the movie is even half as good as its trailer, it will be a must see.



By Jason Haskins

Aside from the ‘givens’ such as my unflinching desire to watch The Dark Knight Rises and Django Unchained, I have a few eclectic choices on my list this year.



5 - Moonrise Kingdom –

First on my list is Moonrise Kingdom—Wes Anderson’s newest film is a period piece set in the 1960s. Other than that I have no idea what this movie is about…but knowing that it’s Anderson who has a track record in my heart for films such as The Royal Tenenbaums and most recently Fantastic Mr. Fox I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am. Especially with the cast of Billy Murray, Edward Norton, Bruce Willis (!?), and Tilda Swinton. Sounds good to me.





4 - ParaNorman –

From the studio that brought us Coraline, the newest picture from Laika (helmed by Chris Butler and Sam Fell) is about a young boy able to speak to the dead, which comes in handy when his town gets invaded by ‘em. The trailer looks exciting and the animation looks phenomenal. I hate to jump the gun, but I think we have another classic on our hands. The horror theme definitely plays a part in my excitement of this project.




3 - The Great Gatsby -

Based on the classic novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby is a literary feast that’s taken years to get out. Starring Leonard DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire, it’s shaping up to be an interesting little adaptation for us to chew on right before the New Year. The only big hindrance in the film I can see from this far in the game is that it’s being directed by Baz Luhrmann who’s last cinematic crap was that god-awful Australia movie starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Boo!




2 - The Amazing Spider-Man –

Sure, the trailer looks pretty stupid and none of the photos nor the filmmaker Marc Webb is impressive, but it’s Spider-Man, goddammit. Andrew Garfield stole the show in David Fincher’s The Social Network so perhaps he’ll be a pleasant surprise as our favorite web crawler. Being a big fan of Sam Raimi’s big screen treatment of my favorite super hero I’ll try not to be biased in my dislike (or like thereof) of this summer blockbuster.




1 - Frankenweenie –

Tim Burton’s name definitely has been tarnished in recent years with crap like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and most recently his Alice in Wonderland film, but there was a time where his films had an artistic endeavor behind them. Frankenweenie, based on one of his early short films, is a black and white stop-motion feature that seeks to hopefully resolve the fact he has enough damn money and that he can make good films again. …But I still haven’t forgotten about Corpse Bride, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed on this one.


Have a nice holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Not bad... yet you will have to wait for mine in the coming days as I have a list of a shitload of movies coming out for 2012 (not counting films that played in festivals or were released in other countries in 2011).

    ReplyDelete