Thursday, July 21, 2011

Videogame Bits: Super Mario Bros (1993)



By Terry Cleveland

I’m not sure how or why anyone could possibly think that there should be a movie based on a platforming video game about a plumber who jumps on dinosaurs. I’m also not quite sure what was going on or how it was related to the Mario franchise during the film, but I liked it.
The film starts out with two down on their luck brothers who own a plumbing business, Mario Mario (creative, right?) and Luigi Mario played by Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo. Somehow through a strange turn of events the Mario Brothers end up in an alternate dimension, where dinosaurs, instead of primates, evolved into humans, to rescue Daisy (Samantha Mathis) a girl that Luigi met the same day.

I was thoroughly confused during the course of the film because I couldn’t quite figure out what the hell was going on. Despite this I was actually impressed with the direction the film took, and found myself enjoying it even amidst my judgments as a video game nerd. The acting was decent; especially Dennis Hopper as the evil King Koopa, and the story while not particularly well written was compelling. However, there was a very creepy fungus/de-evolved human/usurped king that bore a striking resemblance to a large pulsating penis that I thought was a not only disgustingly laughable, but also completely unnecessary. Similar things could be said about nearly all of the film.

Ultimately this movie has almost nothing to do with any of the Mario games but if you are a fan of the games you really can’t go wrong with this one.

3.5 out of 5


© Terry Cleveland, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment