Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Videogame Bits: Silent Hill (2006)

By Terry Cleveland

Finally it I happened; I finally found a video game adaptation that isn’t a complete pile of trash, or something that Uwe Boll decided to shit on. Being a fan of both horror and video games I didn’t really have high hopes for this film after seeing the mess that was Resident Evil, but thankfully I found that I enjoyed most all of the film, which in lieu of all of the other films that I have been watching for this column lately is a much needed respite.

The film starts out with Rose (Radha Mitchell), and Christopher (Sean Bean) searching for their daughter Sharon (Jodelle Ferland) who just happened to sleep walk to the edge of a cliff. The girl, who is adopted, repeatedly screams the words “silent hill” and then wakes up with no memory of what happend.  Soon Rose does some internet research (with shameless product placement for Google) and finds that Silent Hill is a ghost town in West Virginia. Naturally she packs up Sharon and heads to Silent Hill to find out what the connection between her and the town is.

The film is very dark and surprisingly well written. Most of the setting of the film takes place in the actual town of Silent Hill which is not only creepy, but mysterious and unsettling as well.  I really felt like the atmosphere was one of the main reasons that I enjoyed the film so much. Though the various grotesque creatures in the film are nothing to sneeze at either, whether it is the amorphous bi-pedaled acid walkers or the burning babies the creatures end up being genuinely scary.

The best part of the film in my opinion though was the creative fatalities that are purely sadistic and sick, especially the scene where the female antagonist is penetrated by barbed wire and then ripped in half resulting in a literal rain of blood. The fan favorite Pyramid Head also makes an appearance and then proceeds to pull the skin off of a victim like a skin coat. I felt that despite being completely sick these two scenes and the other cringe worthy moments in the film were actually supposed to be funny or at the very least out ridiculously sensational. (In an over the top holy-shit-that-dude-just-ripped-someone’s-skin-off sort of way)

At the end of the film I realized that I enjoyed this one as an actual horror film and as a video game adaptation. This wasn’t the greatest film I’ve ever seen but it was easily the best video game adaptation I’ve seen yet, and I would recommend it to fans of either genre.

4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment