Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New Releases: September 6th

By Paco McCullough

This week, there's actually a couple of things that might be worth checking out. There may even be something for almost every reader of this site. Check it out after the jump.



Releasing September 6th (Tuesday).

Everything Must Go
Will Ferrell plays  an alcoholic, who in one day looses his job and gets kicked out of his house. He spends a day on his lawn with all his stuff before the cops come, telling him he has to leave. However, there is a loophole: if he has a garage sale he can legally stay on his lawn for a few days. Ferrell gives a remarkably nuanced performance that made question my negative attitude towards him. He also has a remarkable repartee with C.J. Wallace (son of the legendary Biggie Smalls), which are certainly the best moments of the film. However, the overall story feels like an afternoon special. It's cynicism and dark nature somehow don't elevate it. Though I love Raymond Chandler, who wrote the story this film is based off of, I had trouble liking this film. Fans of slow dramas will find enough to enjoy. Others will be disappointed, despite all the positive qualities I previously mentioned.
3 out of 5

Hanna
I may have found the subject matter of Joe Wright's previous films incredibly boring (Pride and Prejudice, Atonement), I will not deny that he has some serious talent. Therefore, I was excited to hear he was making an action movie about a teenage hitwoman. Unfortunately, I was unable to screen this, but it looks like a blast. I'm certainly going to check it out. You should too.

Releasing September 9th(Friday)

X-Men First Class
I really wanted to like this film more than I did. The first portion of the film was possibly the most brilliant piece of comic book cinema ever, focusing on the relationship between Professor Charles Xavier and Magneto. Unfortunately, the second half introduces a whole team without enough time to care about any of them. Soon, some members are betraying the team without proper motivation. Matthew Vaughn directs this film incredibly well, but I felt the script could have used a few more rewrites. Most performances are fun and well done, especially James MacAvoy and Michael Fassbender, but January Jones does a worse job than most child actors. Overall, kinda fun, worth checking out, but I wouldn't buy it.
3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment